Saturday, February 16, 2008

Where to begin?

Hey! This blog was created the 16th February 2008, with the purpose of fighting back against the fraud spreading over the internet. As a first case TV-DVD scams will be taken up, but feel free to add comments about other known scams or possible scams. I will put up new subjects to sort out the comments as fast as I can.

First of all I'll thank Andy Kaiser for his website. This may be the first step on the way of closing down these, and many other scammers. Even though you might have lost money, time and temper in the lone effort of punishing these internet thieves, do not despair. Together and with the help of international courts we can stop this and similar scams, avoid that more people suffer from their crimes, clean some of the filth from the internet and hopefully punish the perpetrators.

It should be said before anything else that I do not take shit from anyone, and that I do not give up. For this reason I cannot help but take this personally. For the same reason I have participated in several lawsuits against companies who did not act as law and logic proscribes, from small local businesses to international companies such as Toshiba Computer Systems. That said I am no law, scam or internet expert, and thus there are still a lot of things out there that I don't have any knowledge about. So please help me help you.

When it comes down to it I guess I was originally just another victim for this world-spanning fraud. Through 6 months I have tried to get Ultimate DVD Shop to honour their obligations through means of dialog. This day I finally called their bluff and send them a diplomatic e-mail, warning them of my intention to file a lawsuit if they do not take contact within 48 hours to begin settling affairs with their customers. I hope you will help me with this, and thus help yourself and all the other people who have been hurt by this scam and who will be in the future.

You might say that there are a million other, possibly better, causes to fight for and spend your time on. However, in this kind of fight we can actually make a big difference with just a little effort from everyone.
Remember, just because those who run these scams are smart, hard to find and maybe even wield considerable power, it doesn't mean that they can't and shouldn't be punished. Nothing goes unnoticed to the entire world and money and people can't disappear forever. Everything leaves clues; it's just a question of giving enough attention.

So, first of all let's get our options and needs on the table. Speaking about such things openly may seem odd, as the perpetrators can read this as easily as anyone, and probably will. However this knowledge will only leave them one of three actions, all of them satisfying to us:
A1) Stop their business and hide; the track may get cold, but at least the fraud has been stopped.
A2) Continue but try to cover their tracks; they'll be punished with stress from being constantly harassed and their business will become a lot harder, and we'll get them sooner or later.
A3) Continue unaffected; we'll get them anyway.

Our options, off the top of my head and in no particular order or combination:
B1) Gather all the evidence we can by ourselves, file complaints with the IC3 and similar agencies and advocate that they act on the case.
B2) Raise money for a private/public investigation and ensure it is followed through.
B3) Warn customers of the scam, through means of the internet and one-to-one communication.
B4) Attack the perpetrators directly by hacking, physical action or other means. I do not recommend this, as it conflicts with the law and thus our interests in a safe internet.

Now, for every one of those methods we need a place to discuss the problem and gather the information. This website is my idea of such a place, but suggestions for improvement and change are always very welcome.

Best regards,
Søren Ekelund

3 comments:

Carolyn Kluss said...

I will be the first to respond... let's just say that I am angry in a different way from many of those who posted on Andy's site... I had my credit card number fraudulently used after ordering from dvddonkey, one of the many names they operate under, so I spent several long days working through that scenario. I did get a refund on my credit card within a week, but I was fairly forceful, but nice with the person I "chatted" with, as that is the only method of communication they have. My cancellation e-mails were very pointed about the illegality of their product and I indicated I had contacted both my bank and my attorney.

I have posted several times on
Andy's site using CK and would like to know if anyone has answers to the questions I posed on 13 Feb. regarding Tucows as the registrar of several (all??) of these companies. This is copy and paste from one of the "whois" sites when I entered tvaddicts, dvddonkey and dvdavenue... all the names associated with the company I ordered from:
OrgName: Prolexic Technologies,
OrgID: PROLE
Address: Prolexic Technologies
Address: 1930 Harrison Street
City: Hollywood
StateProv: FL
PostalCode: 33020
Country: US

Prolexic Technologies has what seems to me a big range of IP addresses.

72.52.0.0 - 72.52.63.255

Anyone know what this means?
Do you suppose that these are all the different possible company names this outfit works under?

Anyone know anything about serversniff? Prolexic Technologies is linked to Cloudmark1 which went to serversniff when I Googled that…. Suppose that is a spyware spot? It all seems suspicious.
I don't know how to investigate internet companies without going into their sites and serversniff just seems like a dangerous name to go into...
If anyone has answers to these questions, it would be great! Also I would like to include any answers in my FTC complaint form. Thanks, CK

Søren Ekelund said...

Thank you for your comment Carolyn, and for the information in particular. I'll add DVDdonkey to the rapidly growing list of scam-sites and put up a list of clues.

Does Prolexic Technologies and "Tucows" ring a bell to someone out there?

Best regards,
Søren Ekelund

Anonymous said...

DVDdonkey is for sure a scam site!
I posted complete detail in the
letters section.

Thanks Soren for this forum and your zeal to put an end to this scam or should I say scum!